2009/01/22

It's Bubblin' Away!

**Warning** It is illegal for persons under the age of 21 to make/possess alcohol in the United States and laws are different in other countries so: This is being posted for informational purposes only. If it is illegal for you to make or possess alcohol wherever you are, don't do it. I will not be held responsible for your lack of judgment. **Warning**


Well, my first batch of Joe Mattioli's Ancient Orange and Spice Mead for this year is fermenting nicely. I decided to use two clementines instead the Valencia orange I used last time. I wonder what the change in taste will be, if any. It should be ready between March 9th and March 30th. I know the time frame seems a bit large, but you never can tell when the nectar will clear.

It is so easy to make wine and mead. For the basics, you just need the fruit or honey, water, and yeast. So simple, but it can be difficult to make a good product because of all of the other factors involved. Sanitation being the key to making good wines and meads(Sanitation is really the key to all things you make and want to eat or drink!). If you introduce any unwanted bacteria or wild yeasts, the results can be disastrous.

I do not claim to be an expert at making these beverages, I am barely more than a novice really, but I think I can help outline the basic equipment and procedures needed to make these tasty beverages and I will in later musings when I feel the pull to further bend electrons to my will. I will also keep updating the status of this particular concoction as it moves along toward it's inevitable end, my stomach.


Well, that's all for now. Keep safe and warm until next time, and above all, enjoy life as much as you can.

TroutAngler

No comments: